Thursday, April 14, 2016

How to See a Painful Situation

In this week's parsha, Metzorah, it tells of a home inflicted with Tzaras, a spiritual infliction that took the form of green or red patches on the walls of a home.

What was the cause of this Tzaras? Rashi explains, that Canaanites hid gold in the walls of their homes, the Tzaras would show up on these homes. To purify the home the walls with Tzaras had to be demolished, revealing the gold within.

The Zohar explains, that only a small number of Canaanites hid gold in their walls. While most Canaanites were resigned to Hashem's plan to give the land of Canaan to the Jewish people, there were those who were not. These consisted of Canaanites that were deeply steeped in idolatry, and morally depraved even by Canaanite standards. These Canaanites hid their gold in their walls, with the plan to one day come back and expel the Jewish people from the land.

While the impurities of idolatry of most of the Canaanite homes were superficial and were dispelled when a Jew would enter and started doing mitzvas. The walls of the homes of the deeply depraved, soaked in the impurities and it took the presence of a very holy person to extract the impurities. Hashem arranged that only the holiest people moved into these homes. The impurities would come out in the form of Tzaras, the house would be demolished, and the gold would be found. 

What lesson are we to take from the Holy person in a house inflicted with Tzaras?

We all find ourselves in situations which at first glance seems like a punishment. Like a holy person who finds Tzaras on his home. You could rightfully think,  "What have I done to deserve this?" But with time and trust in Hashem, that He knows best, you will find, that it is all to reward you with a treasure. The same is true when you find yourself hit with a devastating blow, you must realize that Hashem specifically put you into this situation, just like putting a holy person in a depraved house, only you have the ability to extract the good from the predicament and reveal the treasure within.

Before I was born, my parents were blessed with a special needs child, my brother Shalom. My parents with great love included him in everything we did. I grew up loving him as they did and did things with him all the time. I would get teased a lot and it hurt. But I think it is my relationship with Shalom that made me into the person I am today. Now I think, what a treasure, what a gift, to grow up this way.

Of course, this is only when dealing with difficult predicaments, but sometimes Hashem hands a blow that is so devastating, for example, the loss of a loved one . What treasure could be found in this situation? Even if there is positive, it doesn't take away the pain. In this case all we can do, is accept Hashem's will and with His help the pain will lessen with time.

With all this said, it is time for Moshiach to come and put this discussion to rest.

13 comments:

  1. Amein. Good Shabbos. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful dvar Torah. Thank you for your words of chizuk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yitzi,
    You are greatly loved by our family here in Fulton, Missouri.
    We love you Yitzi!
    Blessings,
    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the loss of a loved one, my mother died when I was 12 years old.
      Now I am 58 year old.
      46 years later, I wish it was easier but it has not been. I have simply learned to live with the loss.
      I miss her more each and every day.
      People, cherish your loved ones.
      You never know when you could lose them and if you love them from the heart, you will have no regrets.
      I have heard so many people my age refer to their mother as a bother or a burden.
      This hurts me to hear that kind of talk.
      I would give my right arm-- to have mine again.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for these thoughts. It makes me want to work at better appreciating the tough times in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hidden treasures... What an important reminder to see every challenge as a gift. But I love the end the most.
    "With all this said, its time for Moshiach to come and put this discussion to rest".
    Amen.
    Thank you for your posts. I look forward to them every week. Good Shabbos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're amazing. May you get well soon and dance when Moshiach comes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're amazing. May you get well soon and dance when Moshiach comes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so look forward to your weekly blogs. You are an inspiration and have given me the poke i needed to step away from feeling sorry for myself to uplifting others. Life is too short now for this 78 yr. old to wallow in self pity....thank you for your encouraging words. Shalom Shabbat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my wife made a comment, she said in some unremembered context, "shine a little light", don't know why but i you tubed the phrase, much to my/our delight we found your song/story.Would have never heard of you if ALS did not wound your body,strangely transformative in my understanding of loss. Any words fall well short, know that you are now in my heart brother, thank you

    ReplyDelete